Newspaper article Gympie Times, The Qld.

Hospital's Long, Colourful Past

Newspaper article Gympie Times, The Qld.

Hospital's Long, Colourful Past

Article excerpt

GYMPIE Private Hospital started life as the Glandore Hospital in 1925.

Originally a hospital for women recovering after childbirth, Glandore was in a homestead in Nash St, which was built in 1871 as a residence for the Culliane family.

Nurse Mrs Pilkington was in charge during those days.

The hospital began taking general patients in 1929 , one of which was the son of the original owner.

He later died in the same room that he had slept in as a child.

The hospital was bought by Dr William Lindsay in 1946 who then erected a two-storey extension to accommodate an additional six beds, taking the total to 40, the same number at Gympie Private Hospital today.

Matron Marguerite (Madge) Irene Miller bought the hospital between 1949 and 1950 and acted as administrator, matron and theatre sister before the Leitch family formed "Glandore Pty Ltd" in the mid 50s and bought her out.

Because of the age of the building, the hospital needed updating and before 1983, the move onto a new site in Channon Street began.

The new hospital took two and a half years to build at a cost of $1.75m.

The patients were moved from the old hospital to the new building in one day - August 19, 1983, under the watchful eye of Matron Pat Marsh.

The original home was then sold, for $7000 and a group of footballers were commissioned to pull down the building to raise funds for their club.

The new building was officially opened on February 14, 1984 by the then Minister for Health, Brian Austin.

The hospital continued to expand its services and in 1990 Gympie's first cataract operation was performed.

Community Private Health Care purchased the facility in 1996 and renovated the theatre complex and refitted and redecorated the hospital.

It was also renamed Cooloola Community Private Hospital to reflect the change of the shire's name from Widgee Shire to Cooloola Shire.

The hospital got its peaked roof, thanks to a government grant in 2004, the proceeds of which replaced the roof and had a new patient administration software system installed. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.