Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Legend of the Red Shed; Four Fishing Families Made Tweed History

Newspaper article Tweed Daily News (Tweed Heads, Australia)

Legend of the Red Shed; Four Fishing Families Made Tweed History

Article excerpt

Byline: Sue Gardiner Sue.Gardiner@tweeddailynews.com.au

A FAMILY reunion at Tweed Heads over Easter was more than just 70 relatives catching up on old times, it was a gathering that paid homage to a colourful slice of the Tweed's social history.

The attendees were all descendants of the original Boyd, Green, Fray and Adams families who settled at Boyds Bay Hill in the early 1900s and intermarried.

Boyds Bay's official name is Terranora Inlet, but due to the sheer weight of numbers of the Boyd family and their relatives who settled there, the new name became common usage.

The families pioneered the fishing industry, with their timber and iron shed built in 1907 on the south side of Razorback Outlook becoming not just a place to store their equipment, but a social hub.

The shed attracted everyone from the working class to some of the most elite professionals of the day.

Even after the Boyds' last catch at Dodds Point in 1969, the boatshed remained a rallying point for many years where meetings, dances and family reunions were held.

Such is the legend of the Boyd brothers' fishermen's shed-come-pub - often referred to as the oldest "unlicensed licensed club" - it has been saved for posterity.

In the mid-1990s, the red shed was dismantled and relocated behind the Tweed Historical Society's base on Kennedy Dr.

Tweed Historical Society president Joan Smith, who was born into the Green family, said the shed was widely considered the Tweed's most important historical artefact.

Allan Green, 86, now retired to Banora Point, has fond memories of his carefree upbringing at Boyds Bay.

"Growing up, I had 20 uncles and aunties and 38 cousins living at Boyds Bay, and four uncles and aunties and and nine cousins living not far away," he recalls.

In 1927 Allan's father, Carl Green, married Florrie Boyd during the same ceremony in which Florrie's brother Charlie married into another Boyds Bay family by marrying Emma Adams.

It was the first double wedding held at the Tweed Heads Church of England. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.