Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Town's Historical Sites Left to Go to Ruin

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Town's Historical Sites Left to Go to Ruin

Article excerpt

Byline: DAVE CONNOR rememberwhen@gazettemedia.co.uk

MIDDLESBROUGH is packed full of historical buildings, but they're not all in the best state of repair.

Here we identify five Grade II Listed buildings which are in need of repair or clean up.

Some of the five are classed as the Transporter Trail with its plaques commissioned and made by the only foundry left of 140 once in operation in Middlesbrough, William Lane on the Forty Foot Road.

We start at the Middlesbrough Dock Clock tower, originally built in 1842 it was moved and refurbished for a third time before it was restored to its present condition in 2005.

It was said the reason it only had three faces was because of workers in the area "Time Watching".

The present clock still only has three faces, however there are no pointers on any of the clock faces, with one of them starting to erode, and there are shrubs growing out the parapets near the clock faces.

We then come to the Vulcan Street Cleveland Salt Works wall. It was built in 1887 and also covered for Bolckow and Vaughan Iron Works and the Middlesbrough Pottery which opened in 1841.

The top of the wall is a disgrace with shrubs and small trees growing out of it.

Then we have the Captain Cook public house built in 1842, which was bought by the Middlesbrough Council in 2010 from landlady Olwyn McPhillips.

Since then it has stood derelict and is slowly falling into a state of disrepair. Middlesbrough Council recently announced that the building would be sold to make it into a micropub and student accommodation. The pub has been sold for PS1 with a grant of 30,000 for renovation.

The old Town Hall was built in 1846. Its clock is still working, however the building and the surrounding area is absolutely shocking with trees growing out of the roof and walls decaying.

To think Lowery actually painted this building in his famous matchstick men painting would be a shock to the many people from around the world who come to view this historical building. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.