Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Walk-In Centres Are Closing So Where Will You Go Now?

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Walk-In Centres Are Closing So Where Will You Go Now?

Article excerpt


DON'T go to A&E with a grazed knee but do call an ambulance if you have heavy bleeding, chest pain, stroke or severe burns.

It may seem like common sense, but as major changes are introduced to health services across Teesside, health chiefs have released updated advice.

On April 1, walk-ins at North Ormesby and South Bank will close as the local NHS moves to sevendays-a-week service.

The South Tees Clinical Commissioning Group will change opening times at four GP surgeries across the area to cover late, weekend, and bank holiday appointments.

To keep everyone in the South Tees area up to date, the commissioning group has posted a handy leaflet to all residents.

Here are all the numbers and information you need to know. Self care A lot of illnesses and minor injuries - things like grazes, sore throat, coughs and hangovers - can be treated at home.

Best thing to do is to keep a wellstocked first aid kit at home.

Useful items include paracetamol or ibuprofen, oral rehydration sachets for diarrhoea, antacids, antihistamines and other things like plasters, bandages and a thermometer.

NHS 111 This is the number to call if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

The 111 line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you have hearing or communication difficulties, you can also use the NHS 111 service using a textphone by dialling 18000 111.

Pharmacist Found all over Teesside and East Cleveland, a pharmacist is a highlytrained healthcare professional who can offer advice on common illnesses and medicines. Each pharmacy includes a quiet area for consultations in case you want to speak to someone privately.

So if you're suffering with something like diarrhoea, a runny nose, a cough or a headache, the pharmacy is probably the best place to go.

GPIf you have a fever, ear pain, unexplained pains or feel otherwise ill, you may need to see a GP.

Your first port of call will be your own GP, but from April 1, four GP centres in the South Tees area will be open for extended hours. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.