Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Murderer Ignored Plea to Halt Attack

Newspaper article The Journal (Newcastle, England)

Murderer Ignored Plea to Halt Attack

Article excerpt

Byline: Rob Kennedy Court Reporter

AMURDERER who ignored his sister's pleas to stop attacking her partner has been jailed for life.

Leanne Mould had earlier plotted to have estranged boyfriend and father of her child, Michael Stead, beaten up after they fell out.

Her brother, Daniel Mould, and accomplices Michael Young and Trevor Creighton turned up armed with a hammer and steel sharpener.

Daniel Mould, wearing a mask and gloves to conceal his identity, savagely attacked Mr Stead and continued even after Leanne Mould begged him to stop.

Mr Stead, 34, suffered catastrophic head injuries and died nine months later.

Earlier this week, Mould 26, of Chester Terrace North, Sunderland, was convicted of murder and conspiracy to inflict GBH and has now been jailed for life, with a minimum of 23 years.

Jurors failed to reach a verdict on the murder charge for Young, 26, of Rutherglen Road, Sunderland. He pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was locked up for 13 and a half years.

Leanne Mould, 34, of Brady Street, and Creighton, 33, of Lumley Street, both Sunderland, were found guilty of conspiracy to inflict GBH. Mould was jailed for six years and Creighton for 10 and a half years.

The quartet were brought into court separately to be sentenced after trouble flared previously in the dock between the Moulds and Young.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Mr Stead had been in a relationship with Leanne Mould for several years and they had a young child.

Their relationship had been "turbulent" and they were living apart, at either ends of Brady Street, in Pallion, Sunderland, last year.

On March 21, there were a series of "vitriolic" texts between the pair and Leanne Mould accused Mr Stead of stealing PS30 of her state benefits and being unfaithful.

That afternoon, she saw him and threw a bottle, and Mr Stead ran away.

She contacted her brother, who arrived with others in the car looking for Mr Stead.

Leanne Mould then called police to allege the PS30 had been stolen but, after speaking to Mr Stead, officers concluded there was no evidence of a crime and advised the pair to avoid contacting each other and let things cool down. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.