Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Former Boro Player Is to Appeal Assault Conviction

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Former Boro Player Is to Appeal Assault Conviction

Article excerpt

Byline: MIKE BROWN mike.brown@trinitymirror.com @MIKEBROWNGAZ

SACKED football pundit Peter Beagrie says he will appeal against a conviction for assaulting his partner.

The former Everton and Manchester City player was "devastated" after he was convicted of attacking his girlfriend by Skipton magistrates on Tuesday.

In a statement, Beagrie, 51, said: "I am innocent, something I have maintained from the outset, that is why the verdict was so devastating.

"I will be appealing."

In the statement, he said he was still with his partner, adding: "This has been an upsetting and traumatic time for us and we both feel there is no other alternative but to appeal."

Sky Sports sacked the football pundit following his conviction for assault by beating, following a drinkfuelled row in Harrogate, where Beagrie lives.

He was sentenced to a 12-month community order and 15 days' rehabilitation.

The Middlesbrough-born winger - who left Boro controversially as the club battled liquidation in 1986 - had been removed from Sky television pending the outcome of his case.

A spokesman for Sky said: "When we first became aware of the charge, we removed Peter from our coverage pending his case. Following the outcome we have terminated his contract. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.