Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Beak Blasts Offending Drivers; Driving While Disqualified Shows Contempt for Court, Warns Toowoomba Magistrate

Newspaper article The Chronicle (Toowoomba, Australia)

Beak Blasts Offending Drivers; Driving While Disqualified Shows Contempt for Court, Warns Toowoomba Magistrate

Article excerpt

Byline: Peter Hardwick @thechronicle.com.au

A TOOWOOMBA magistrate has again felt it necessary to remind motorists of the serious offence of driving after having been disqualified by the court.

Magistrate Kay Ryan addressed the whole courtroom when sentencing a man for the offence, saying she expected to repeat herself "about 50 times today" when warning of the serious consequences of disqualified driving.

The offence was actually a contempt of court orders, she warned.

Her Honour's comments came when sentencing Cabarlah man Mathew John Kahler who had been pulled over by police while driving on Lauder Drive, Highfields, on April 6.

The 33-year-old told police he had been driving his son to the dump, police prosecutor Sergeant Mike Robinson told the court.

Kahler pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified by a court order as well as to driving unlicensed arising from his being pulled over again driving on July 9, two days after his disqualification period had ended. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.