Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

Illegal Extension? No, It's Just a Rooftop Caravan, Insists Builder

Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

Illegal Extension? No, It's Just a Rooftop Caravan, Insists Builder

Article excerpt

Byline: Sophia Sleigh

A RETIRED builder who claimed a first-floor extension to his home was merely a "caravan" has been ordered to tear it down.

Trevor Hadjimina, 60, from Peckham, started to build the wooden structure on his house in May last year without applying for planning permission.

Southwark council applied for an injunction in the High Court to block him from completing the project.

Last month, Mr Hadjimina told the Royal Courts of Justice that the extension was a caravan and therefore did not need planning permission to build. However, a judge has dismissed the claim and ruled that he had breached planning rules.

Mr Hadjimina has now been given two months to remove the unfinished extension following the judge's ruling on March 16.

Southwark council said the timber structure was the latest in a "long line" of planning breaches at the property in Relf Road.

A council spokeswoman said: "Previous breaches included the raising of walls that the council had previously reduced in height following an enforcement notice in 2012, and the erection of a timber and Perspex shelter to the side of the property in May 2017. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.