Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Inquest Told of Struggle to Save Life

Newspaper article Evening Gazette (Middlesbrough, England)

Inquest Told of Struggle to Save Life

Article excerpt

Byline: DAVE ROBSON @Daverobson_gaz

A NEAR three-hour delay before establishing which drugs a man overdosed on did not contribute to his death, an inquest heard.

Lee Gibson, of Acklam, Middlesbrough, died on October 21, in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester - six days after he'd been transferred from James Cook University Hospital (JCUH) in one desperate last bid to save his life.

The 21-year-old had been admitted to the Middlesbrough hospital on October 13 having taken an accidental overdose of a mixture of drugs.

To the family's concern, it was only established two and a half to three hours after he was admitted, that one of those drugs was blood pressure medication amlodipine.

But Teesside Senior Coroner Clare Bailey accepted medical experts' evidence that the initial treatment would have been the same - even if the intake of the blood pressure tablets had been known about.

She said it would not have prevented Mr Gibson's death.

The inquest, at Teesside Coroner's Court in Middlesbrough Town Hall, heard how Mr Gibson was admitted to James Cook Hospital at 5.21pm, having taken a mixture of tablets.

But it wasn't until 6.30pm, when a family member brought in empty tablet packets, that it was discovered he had also taken the amlodipine.

He initially engaged with his family but by 8pm he was appearing poorly and unwell.

Over the next 48 hours, his condition continued to deteriorate - so much so that he was put into an induced coma and a cardiac bypass machine was used to ease the pressure on his heart.

As his condition worsened, with his heart struggling badly and other organs shutting down, he became gravely ill.

He was transferred on October 15 to Glenfield Hospital at Leicester - one of England's main hospitals for coronary care and respiratory diseases.

But, tragically, he died on October 21, despite what Glenfield consultant Dr Caroline Sampson called the "extraordinary measures" both hospitals took to try to save him. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.