Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)

Our Valley Watering Holes; from Fire, Floods and Fights. the Pubs of the Pioneer Valley Have Seen a Lot over the Decades

Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)

Our Valley Watering Holes; from Fire, Floods and Fights. the Pubs of the Pioneer Valley Have Seen a Lot over the Decades

Article excerpt

Byline: Alan Laskey news@dailymercury.com.au

The Eungella Chalet

Located at the top of the Pioneer Valley, it was originally built as a Sanatorium/Health Resort. It was opened by the prime minister of the time in 1934. A change of ownership has occurred several times, with Kaj and Hannah Sprogue leasing it for many years from 1937.

The Excelsior Hotel

Built in 1911, the double storey pub, was located at Netherdale. A fire broke out in 1962, and the hotel, dance hall, and a shop were destroyed.

In days gone bye, pubs would sometimes host a fight, and it was at 3pm on a Saturday arvo 4th February 1933, when Joe Adams (Eungella) V Billy Edwards (Finch Hatton) for a purse of 10 quid ($20) - it's unknown who collected.

The Criterion Hotel

It was built in 1906 and remains the sole survivor of the three hotels that once existed in Finch Hatton.

It was once a favourite for many mill and railway workers. It was badly damaged during the 1958 flood.

The Cedar Hotel

The Finch Hatton pub was built in 1911 with cedar timber from Eungella, and used at first as a boarding house. It closed and was dismantled in the late 1930's, and the timber was then used in the construction of a boarding house opposite the old Mackay Railway Station.

The Royal Hotel

It was the oldest of the "Hatton" pubs, built around 1904 as a single storey and then known as The Cattle Creek Hotel until around 1913. It also met the fate of many country pubs, when it was destroyed by fire in 1962.

The Pinnacle Hotel

Known originally as the Railway Terminus Hotel and built around 1903, it was at first located close to the railway station.

Around 1911 it was relocated beside the main road and became known as the Pinnacle Hotel.

The pub was rebuilt in 1932 after being destroyed by fire.

The Coronation Hotel

Now known as The Pioneer Valley Hotel, and located at Gargett, was built in 1910.

Originally a two storey timber hotel, it was altered to a single storey building after renovations in 1987.

The Club Hotel

The two storey pub in Mirani once stood on the corner of Mackay-Eungella road and Barbara Street, just down from the present pub. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.