Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)

Sarina Postal Service Grew as Town Did; Post Offices Served Community Well

Newspaper article The Daily Mercury (Mackay, Australia)

Sarina Postal Service Grew as Town Did; Post Offices Served Community Well

Article excerpt

The following article was originally written in 1982 by an unknown author and updated by Sarina District Historical Centre Inc in 2018.

SARINA is located about 36km south of Mackay on the main north-south coast road, the Bruce Higway.

The first resident of Sarina Township appears to have been Richard Patton, who lived in a slab hut on the banks of Plane Creek.

At the time the site of the future township was part of Henry Bell's cattle station.

The early settlers obtained supplies by bullock wagon from Broadsound every six months -- an adventurous trip in those days.

The township of Sarina began to develop first at Michelmore's Hill, just north of the present town.

Before the erection of Plane Creek Sugar Mill in 1895, a hotel, store and blacksmith shop were trading at the site.

In 1897, Alligator Creek was bridged and with Sandy and Bakers creeks also spanned the trip to Mackay by horse-drawn buggy took about five hours.

When the State Government extended Local Government into rural areas of Queensland in 1897, Sarina was included in the Pioneer Divisional Board.

Sarina Township obtained its independence on January 1, 1912 and the Sarina Shire Council held its first meeting on March 2, 1912.

The town received reticulated water supply in 1934 and electricity in 1935. Previously electricity was available only at the sugar mill.

Pugh's Almanac of 1919 stated that Sarina was "a sugar-growing town, 25 miles south of Mackay by train with four churches and a police sergeant and constable.

"The State School Teacher is A. Morrison, Railway Stationmaster is S. O'Sullivan and Shire Council Clerk is J. D. Maddox. Deputy Superintendent is A. C. Selway and Postmistress is Mrs Parker."

On May 5, 1921 the semi- official Post and Telegraph Office at Sarina was raised to official status.

Letter delivery to addressees residing within a radius of half a mile of Sarina Post Office took place on July 1, 1946. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.