Newspaper article The Florida Times Union

Fireworks Ban in Clay Still Holds

Newspaper article The Florida Times Union

Fireworks Ban in Clay Still Holds

Article excerpt

With six fires breaking out Tuesday night and firefighters

working into the night fighting four other fires the night

before, it was an easy decision for County Manager Bob Wilson to

maintain a ban on fireworks in Clay County.

Wilson said he had the discretion to lift a ban on commercial

fireworks displays imposed last week by the County Commission,

but with continued dry conditions and firefighters still being

stretched to the limits, he decided Wednesday morning the ban

will remain in affect.

"It's just too dry," Wilson said.

He said that with fires still breaking out around the county it

would be impossible for fire departments to be able to

adequately cover those fires and be on hand at fireworks

displays.

Until Wilson made his decision, the fireworks display set for

Keystone Heights tonight had been up in the air.

Jack Raleigh, a member of the Fourth of July celebration in

Keystone Heights, said that community had an additional option

of taking the matter before the City Council, of which he is a

member. He said home rule would allow the council to vote on the

matter since the fireworks would be going off in the city

limits.

However, he said it was clear that the council would not favor

overriding the county.

"It would have been politically incorrect," Raleigh said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.