Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

West End Knife Gang Jailed for Terror Spree

Newspaper article The Evening Standard (London, England)

West End Knife Gang Jailed for Terror Spree

Article excerpt


TWO muggers who led a violent knife gang that brought terror to the West End have been jailed for nine years each. Adewale Adekoya and Mark Grant, both 26, went on a one-year crime spree around theatreland, dragging terrified victims into alleys, beating them and threatening to kill them.

Grant admitted involvement in 27 offences including the stabbing and robbery of a company director. The pair were caught when undercover police spotted them viciously beating a man for his wallet in a West End side street.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how the gang first struck on 1 November 2001 when they dragged Christopher Honeywill down a darkened alley off High Holborn.

The 59-year-old company director had been out drinking with a friend and was seeking a taxi home to Battersea. The gang stamped on his head so hard they left a bootprint across his face and knocked out six of his teeth.

They dragged him to his feet, pulled out a knife and and demanded his Pin numbers.

After revealing them, he was stabbed twice in the stomach. The gang then fled with u240 and his credit cards.

On 9 November, Lindsey Moyes was leaving The End nightclub in Holborn when Grant and four friends pounced on him wearing masks. The clubber was dragged to a nearby alley, pushed to the ground and searched.

After threatening him with a knife the five men made off with Mr Moyes's Pins, credit cards and mobile phone.

Two days later Kemal Trivendi was punched in the face as he drew cash from a machine in High Holborn at about 2am.

Grant and three unknown men grabbed him and told him he would be stabbed if he did not hand over his Pin. He bravely refused and the gang turned out his pockets, escaping with his wallet and phone.

On 27 April last year, hotel worker Paulo Russo was dragged to the floor by Grant and three others as he walked through Streatham Street in central London.

They gathered around to kick and punch their victim as he lay curled up on the ground. After taking his phone and wallet Mr Russo was told he would be killed when he refused to hand over his Pin. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.