Newspaper article The Christian Science Monitor

Letters

Newspaper article The Christian Science Monitor

Letters

Article excerpt

Herbivores and carnivores discussed some more Regarding "A vegetarian sprouts" (Feb. 24): It is comforting to know that I am not alone. David Clark Scott's column about his daughter's foray into the realm of vegetarianism candidly discussed the perils of being an herbivore in a carnivorous society, one of them being the fact that no one wants to feed us.

I describe myself as a vegetarian simply because the label is convenient. I am not a picketing animal-rights activist who rips hamburgers out of the hands of unwary gourmands; I simply do not eat meat. However, I cannot survive on side salads for the rest of my life.

According to the article, one-third of Americans would order a meatless item if it were on the menu of a restaurant. Why aren't restaurants responding accordingly? If one-third of Americans are looking for vegetarian items, then restaurants are missing out on a niche market. Summer Fraser Rexburg, Idaho I raise cattle for sale as breeding animals and for human consumption. Of the acreage on our ranch, little more than 2 percent is suitable for row crops such as wheat or oats. We do plant this portion, and half the time our rainfall average will not produce a profitable crop. Then what should we do with the remaining 98 percent of this ranch land? If these noncultivable acreages were not used for cattle, there would certainly be those who would use them for hunting. Is this better than raising cattle there? The majority of beef comes from cows that forage rocky hillsides, swampy bottom-lands, or less-than-good soil sites - rather than land that could be used for corn or other raised crops. We handle our cattle gently. We call them to our pickup trucks to feed them when it is cold, when there is too little grass to eat, when the momma cows are having babies, or just to see if they are doing OK. We wean the calves in a way that we can be sure they have a proper diet after leaving mother. Only following this do we send these calves to a feed lot where they receive special feeding. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.