Newspaper article The Christian Science Monitor

When to Deduct the Costs of Earning a Master's Degree

Newspaper article The Christian Science Monitor

When to Deduct the Costs of Earning a Master's Degree

Article excerpt

Q: I'm thinking about going back to school to get a master's degree, but I'll still have income from part-time work and investments. Is there any way I can deduct my tuition or other education-related expenses from my taxes? J.A., Lexington, Mass.

A: Normally you cannot deduct tuition or education-related expenses for a master's degree unless it is required by your employer and undertaken to improve your work performance, according to an information officer for the IRS in Washington.

Still, you may be able to qualify for a "lifetime learning credit" of up to $1,000 per year, he says.

To learn more, see IRS Publication 17, chapter 36, as well as Publication 970. If you do qualify for the credit, you will need to submit form 8863, which has an accompanying worksheet.

Q: Our kids were given stock from a dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP) in one company from my folks to help pay for college. I was told the tax was already paid on it and that we did not have to pay taxes on it again, even after we take it out to pay education- related expenses. Each year, interest and dividends are reported on a 1099 form provided by the brokerage firm we use. Do we have to pay taxes related to this DRIP? J.M., Bethesda, Md.

A: Since the stock was turned over to the children by the grandparents, you as parents should be in the clear in terms of taxes. The children would have to list any dividends produced by the stock on their tax forms, even if the dividends were used for college-education purposes, according to an IRS spokesman.

But whether the children actually pay a tax on the dividends will be determined by their annual earnings, the spokesman says.

Had the grandparents paid the college directly, using the dividends, there would have been no potential taxable event for the children, since there is an unlimited gift-tax exclusion on direct gifts for college tuition.

For further details, call the IRS at 800-829-1040.

Q: I am a widower with no heirs and expect to receive retirement benefits in a couple of years. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.