Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Family Held Hostage Escapes Terror When Police Shoot Gunman

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Family Held Hostage Escapes Terror When Police Shoot Gunman

Article excerpt

As a terrified mother clutched two children, police in gray camouflage fired within inches of her head Tuesday, critically wounding a teen-age robber who held them at gunpoint.

Two expertly fired bullets from a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol hit Anthony Q. Waters, 18, ending a 12-hour hostage ordeal in the family's house in the 7200 block of Country Club Drive in Pasadena Hills, police say.

Shot above the lip and left eye, Waters was in critical condition at Barnes Hospital.

Mark S. Deiermann and Janice Deiermann and their two children were shaken but uninjured.

Northwoods Police Chief Kevin Neal said St. Louis County tactical officers - akin to a SWAT team - stormed the house and shot Waters in the kitchen area as he raised his revolver to Janice Deiermann's head.

Waters lives a few blocks from the family he terrorized, police say. He broke into the Deiermanns' $200,000 home about 8:45 p.m. Monday, locked Janice Deiermann, 35, and her two young children in a second-floor closet and demanded money.

Police gave the following account of what happened next:

Mark Deiermann, a lawyer with the firm of Bryan Cave, said he had no money at home. Waters said he'd wait until morning. Mark Deiermann could go to his bank and get some then, he said.

"We'll be here overnight," Waters said. "I'm not going to hurt anyone. I just want money."

Waters never slept. He paced in front of a dining room window or sat on a love seat as he watched Mark Deiermann, who tried to rest on a couch.

About 8 a.m. Tuesday, Waters gave Deiermann an hour to go to the bank. Bring back some money, he said.

Deiermann didn't go to the bank. He drove to a pay phone and called 911.

Northwoods police secretly evacuated residents from four homes that surround the Deiermanns' house. They took positions in those houses and outside, where they were able to watch Waters through the windows.

By 9:20 a.m., Deiermann's hour had run out.

Waters apparently got nervous. He stepped out on the back porch. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.