Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Gorazde Doctor Sobs, `We Cannot Stand This Anymore'

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Gorazde Doctor Sobs, `We Cannot Stand This Anymore'

Article excerpt

Aid workers in Gorazde begged for help Wednesday while Serb guns rained death on the battered Muslim town. NATO delayed authorizing air raids to protect civilians in Gorazde and other U.N.-declared havens.

The Serbs have openly defied the United Nations m for weeks over Gorazde, promising truces while advancing into the enclave and shelling the town of 65,000. The crisis has stymied efforts to turn a truce in Sarajevo into a wider cease-fire to end the two-year Bosnian war.

In their latest reports, doctors and foreign aid workers in Gorazde said Bosnian Serb troops were firing point-blank at the main hospital and raking the eastern town with artillery shells, rockets and heavy machine guns. The onslaught was unleased despite new pledges from Serb leaders to stop the attacks.

A rocket slammed into the hospital's emergency room, killing at least 10 people and wounding 15, the reports said. Two more rocket hits caused an undetermined number of casualties at the hospital, and 14 people were reported to have been killed when shells exploded in nearby apartment buildings.

"This is hell, horror and terror," the hospital's director, Dr. Alija Begic, said in a ham-radio transmission heard in Sarajevo. "This is not war anymore. This is slaughter, massacre."

Begic said Serb tanks stood only 100 yards away firing at the hospital, which had its roof blown off Tuesday.

A sobbing colleague, Dr. Aldijana Rebic, pleaded: "Please do something that we stay alive. We cannot stand this anymore."

The humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders said its team in Gorazde had reported that the rockets wrecked the hospital's sterilization equipment and said the facility had no water or heat, making operations impossible.

A U.N. spokesman in Sarajevo, Kris Janowski, said aid workers reported that 44 people, including 15 children, had been killed in Gorazde since midnight Tuesday. That raised the casualty toll to 389 dead and 1,324 wounded since the Serb offensive began three weeks ago.

In an interview Wednesday evening on CNN, Radovan Karadzic, the Bosnian Serb leader, repeated Serb claims that the Serbs were responding to Muslim attacks from Gorazde. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.