Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sports Shorts

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sports Shorts

Article excerpt

Two More Seminoles To Miss Season Opener

Florida State University officials on Monday ruled two more players ineligible for their football season opener on Saturday against Virginia.

Investigators said offensive lineman Marcus Long could have been permanently banned if he hadn't acknowledged his presence at a dinner paid for by a prospective agent. Long, a 320-pound sophomore guard, was declared ineligible for the Seminoles' first two games of the season. Offensive tackle Forrest Conoly also will continue on an indefinite suspension. It had been thought he may have been reinstated this week. "There are still some unresolved questions concerning Forrest Conoly," Florida State President Talbot "Sandy" D'Alemberte said in announcing the latest suspensions.

The defending national champions will open the season without five players who took gifts from prospective agents in November 1993. All-American linebacker Derrick Brooks and tailback Tiger McMillon were earlier suspended for two games and offensive guard Patrick McNeil for three games. COLLEGE FOOTBALL Michigan Receiver Smith Sidelined

Fifth-ranked Michigan, already reeling from the loss of tailback Tyrone Wheatley, also will start the season without wide receiver Walter Smith. Smith, one of the Wolverines' co-captains, probably will miss the team's first three games because of a knee injury suffered in practice Friday. Michigan coach Gary Moeller said Smith will undergo arthroscopic surgery this week with the hope he could return in time for the start of the Big Ten schedule Oct. 1 at Iowa. Wheatley, the preseason Heisman Trophy favorite, suffered a shoulder injury last week and will miss the Wolverines' opener against Boston College on Saturday. GOLF Shooting Results In $25 Fine

The man accused of firing the shot that wounded LPGA golfer Kim Williams was convicted of disorderly conduct and ordered to pay a $25 fine. Gary Swaney, 35, of Howland, Ohio, pleaded no contest to the charge and was convicted by Niles (Ohio) Municipal Judge Thomas Townley. Swaney originally was charged with negligent assault. Townley sentenced Swaney to 30 days in jail and fined him $250 plus court costs. The judge suspended the jail term and all but $25 of the fine. The 9mm handgun used in the July 2 shooting was ordered destroyed. Police said Swaney was shooting target practice in woods about one mile from a parking lot where Williams was wounded. The bullet lodged in her ribs and was not removed. She returned to the LPGA Tour the following weekend.

Swaney said he doubted that bullets from his gun could have traveled as far as the parking lot and said he felt penalized for coming forward. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.