Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Man Gets Life Sentence in Double Killing

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Man Gets Life Sentence in Double Killing

Article excerpt

Archie P. Hill, an 18-year-old Jennings man, will spend his life in prison without chance of parole for killing two men and wounding a third at the Hidden Valley apartment complex in August.

A jury of eight men and four women in St. Charles County Circuit Court deliberated about four hours before convicting Hill on Friday of two counts of first-degree murder and armed criminal action.

Missouri law requires a life sentence without parole for first-degree murder. Hill will be sentenced by Judge Donald Dalton. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty.

Hill was one of two assailants who shot and killed Myron Singleton, 16, of O'Fallon, and Terry Tutt, 26, of St. Louis, on Aug. 30.

Catron Tate, 17, of Wentzville, was wounded as he ran from gunmen. Hill was acquitted on charges of assault and armed criminal action in connection with Tate's injuries.

The man accused of being the other assailant is George Graham, 21, of Wellston. He awaits trial on two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of armed criminal action and one count of first-degree assault.

Several witnesses testified that they saw two black men firing the fatal shots, but both wore dark hooded sweat shirts with dark scarves covering their faces.

None of the witnesses could positively identify Hill as one of the assailants. Kanita Tate, Hill's girlfriend at the time and the wounded man's sister, saw the shooting and told prosecutors and police that Hill had been one of the assailants.

When defense attorney Lawrence Wines pressed Tate to explain how she could be positive, she said she had seen Hill's car and that one of the masked men had Hill's build.

Hill did not take the stand at his trial. He admitted in a videotaped statement played at the trial that he had a role in the incident.

According to the videotape, Hill was at the Hidden Valley apartment complex the night of the shooting. It was his second trip there that day.

Hill and Graham were visiting Tate at her apartment in the afternoon when Graham got into a quarrel with a group of men, including Tutt and Singleton. Some of them were armed. Hill persuaded Graham to leave.

Assistant Prosecuting Attorneys Jim Gregory and Becky Shaffar contended that Hill had left in anger after words with Jeremy "Jericho" Paine, another of Tate's suitors. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.