Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sisters Generosity Betrayed, Friend Says

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sisters Generosity Betrayed, Friend Says

Article excerpt

Marian and Ethel Herr were born on March 16, 1920. They were not identical twins. In the old photos, Ethel seemed the more glamorous. She was dark-haired and smiling. She looked mischievous. Marian had light brown hair. She wore glasses. She looked serious.

They were the only children of Ferdinand and Mathilda Herr. Ferdinand had worked as a messenger at the 1904 Worlds Fair. He was in the Army near the end of World War I, but he did not go overseas. After the war, he worked for the Brown Shoe Company. He was a stationary engineer. That means he operated a boiler. He used to take correspondence courses, receiving lessons in the mail, doing his classwork and mailing it back. Exactly what he studied is unclear.

Mathilda stayed home. Home was a little brick house in the 5300 block of Lindenwood Avenue on the citys south side. Mathildas parents lived with them.

The family attended Hope Lutheran Church on Neosho Street.

The twins went to Cleveland High School. They graduated in 1936. One of their classmates was Bob Broeg, who later became a sportswriter and then the sports editor of the Post-Dispatch. Marian was in the National Honor Society. Her sister wasnt.

The girls became secretaries.

Neither twin married, but Ethel once had a serious boyfriend. Marian did not. Sometimes, when Marian was older and people would ask why she never married, she would say, Because nobody ever asked me. She had a deadpan way of saying things, and it was hard to know if she was joking.

Neither twin left home. Their grandparents died, and then their parents their father in 1970, their mother in 1980.

The sisters were a team. Ethel cooked. Marian did the dishes. Marian drove. Ethel did not.

Ethel spent most of her career with Stanley Home Products. She also bowled. She once bowled a perfect game. Marian worked for the law firm of Guise and Howe from 1938 until October 1946. She then worked for the Farm Credit Association. She was secretary to the president when she retired in 1982.

Her boss was on the board of directors for the Campbell House Museum, and he suggested she serve as a volunteer. She did. She was 62. Donald Dotzauer was an accountant, and treasurer of the board. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.