Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Bellerive History

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Bellerive History

Article excerpt

* Originally called The Field Club, the 166-member association opened in 1897 in north St. Louis, anchored by a nine-hole course and built on land leased from War of 1812 hero Daniel Bissell.

* In 1910, Scotsman Robert Foulis designed a new 18-hole layout in the Normandy area and the membership incorporated as Bellerive Country Club, taking the name of Louis St. Ange De Bellerive, the last French commander in North America.

* As suburban St. Louis continued to expand west, the club's membership elected to move along with it in 1955, petitioning renowned architect Robert Trent Jones to find a prime location for a new course. Five years later, the "Green Monster of Ladue" opened on Memorial Day, 1960.

* In 1965, Bellerive became the "youngest" course to ever host a U. S. Open. South African Gary Player won the event to complete the career grand slam. Player defeated Kel Nagle in a playoff after the two finished in a 72-hole tie at 2 over par. Player donated his winning check to cancer research and junior golf.

* The '65 Open was the first of many national and world championships for Bellerive. In 1981, the club played host to the inaugural Mid-Amateur Championship, won by St. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.