Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

St. Nicholas Church Site to Get Historical Marker

Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

St. Nicholas Church Site to Get Historical Marker

Article excerpt

St. Nicholas Church is gone, but the landmark building along Route 28 will be commemorated with one of 21 new state historical markers.

The marker will become part of a memorial plaza that will pay tribute to the Croatian community that developed on Pittsburgh's North Side starting in the 1890s.

The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission recently approved the St. Nicholas plaque as well as markers honoring commercial radium production in Pittsburgh's Oakland neighborhood and the birthplace of children's TV host Fred Rogers.

St. Nicholas Croatian Catholic Church was home to the first such ethnic parish anywhere in the Western Hemisphere, said Susan Petrick, corresponding secretary for the Preserve Croatian Heritage Foundation. That nonprofit organization, which nominated the church site for a historical marker, spent more than a dozen years in an unsuccessful effort to save the onion-domed church from demolition.

The original Croatian parish was created in 1894 and members worshipped in another building on East Ohio Street. Within a few years the growing congregation had relocated to a new church and rectory that was completed in 1901.

North Side and Millvale Croatian parishes, both named after St. Nicholas, were merged in 1994, and the last services were held in St. Nicholas North Side in 2004. The building was demolished in January 2013.

Plans call for the new state marker to be erected late this fall as PennDOT completes its multiyear improvements to busy Route 28. Part of the project is a new walking and biking path between the Penn Brewery parking lot, near Vinial Street and Troy Hill Road, and the 31st Street Bridge.

That wider sidewalk, set back about 30 yards from the highway, will include a small plaza at the site of St. Nicholas Church. The small park will feature seating for pedestrians and a stone panel with sand-blasted silhouette images of buildings that once stood in that area. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.