Newspaper article The Record (Bergen County, NJ)

Second Coyote in Norwood Dead

Newspaper article The Record (Bergen County, NJ)

Second Coyote in Norwood Dead

Article excerpt

An aggressive coyote that was wounded by police last week has been found dead in a trap in Norwood, and was taken to a state lab for rabies testing, officials said Sunday.

New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife officials discovered the coyote's corpse at about 9:30 a.m. on Sunday in one of the traps that they had set up to capture the animal on the Summit Street property of Frank Spadaccini. Another coyote, which attacked a borough resident and was found to have rabies, was shot and killed in his back yard by authorities last week, Spadaccini said.

Because of concern and questions about the animals, wildlife officials have scheduled a public information session on coyotes at the Norwood Public School on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Sunday's discovery in Bergen County came a day after New York City police nabbed a coyote in Manhattan, where there have been numerous sightings of the creatures in the past few months. On Saturday, the NYPD spotted the coyote in Battery Park City, pursued it to an outdoor cafe and shot it with a tranquilizer gun. The animal got a clean bill of health and was slated to be released in a wilderness area.

Earlier this month, city police also captured a coyote in the Chelsea neighborhood and released it in the Bronx. One of the cagey animals was also picked up by police in Stuyvesant Town.

The second Norwood coyote had been on the lam after being shot by borough police on Thursday, yet still managed to elude capture. Wildlife officials had placed three snare traps and two cage traps in Spadaccini's yard to catch the wounded coyote and had been checking them this weekend, he said. On Sunday, Fish and Wildlife biologist Tony McBride found the coyote in the trap, said Bob Considine, a state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman.

"We started walking around to check the traps that we had, and lo and behold ... it was the one that was shot during the week," Spadaccini said. "It was dead."

The animal's legs had pellet wounds, and its rear left leg was broken, Considine said. It weighed 25 to 30 pounds. The results of the rabies test will take 24 to 48 hours to come back, he said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.