Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

How a Legendary Call to Arms Awaits Crolla and Quigg

Newspaper article Manchester Evening News

How a Legendary Call to Arms Awaits Crolla and Quigg

Article excerpt

ANTHONY Crolla and Scott Quigg will be getting ready to rumble on July 18 after it was announced legendary MC Michael Buffer will be introducing their world title fights at the Manchester Arena.

Crolla returns from his near-life threatening attack by burglars in December to challenge Darleys Perez for the WBA lightweight title, while Quigg defends his WBA superbantamweight title against former IBF champion Kiko Martinez.

It will be the first time that Buffer has ever introduced the two men ahead of a fight, and he is expecting a great night of action next month.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to Manchester once again and heading to one of the great hotbeds of boxing in the Arena," said Buffer.

"I've been there maybe a dozen times starting with Prince Naseem Hamed 18 years ago and on through the years with main events featuring legendary champions like Ricky Hatton, Joe Calzaghe and Amir Khan.

"The name of the arena may have changed a few times but the turnout of support by the fans is still there and recognized among the best in the world.

"Both of these world title bouts have great back stories. Darleys Perez will travel from Colombia to defend his title but the real story here is the fact that Anthony Crolla was told last year he may never fight again. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.