Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Video Shows Gunman in Ferguson

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Video Shows Gunman in Ferguson

Article excerpt

FERGUSON * St. Louis County police released on Tuesday surveillance video they say shows a man injured in a shootout with police holding a gun during street protests in Ferguson on Sunday night.

Tyrone Harris, 18, who lives in Northwoods, was charged Monday with several counts of assaulting police. Police uploaded on Tuesday a short clip of surveillance video provided to them by Solo Insurance Services at 9197 West Florissant Avenue. The video, according to police, "shows Harris grab a handgun out of his waistband once shots are fired during the protest."

A man can be seen running to the right in the video, then running back to the left with a gun in his hand. St. Louis County police Officer Shawn McGuire said investigators were not aware of any surveillance video that showed the shooting.

The owner of the insurance company could not be reached Tuesday.

Court records said Harris was part of a group exchanging gunfire with another group at 11:23 p.m. Sunday in the 9200 block of West Florissant during protests marking the first anniversary of the killing of Michael Brown by a Ferguson police officer.

Police said that the officers went after Harris in an unmarked car, with warning lights flashing, and that he fired at them, with at least one shot hitting their vehicle.

They returned fire, pursued him on foot and shot him after he turned at them with the gun, the department said. A 9 mm Sig Sauer semi-automatic pistol, reported stolen in Cape Girardeau, Mo., was found next to him, officials said.

He remained hospitalized Tuesday.

Also on Tuesday, police said the protests a day earlier that marked the anniversary of the Brown shooting had led to the arrests of more than 100 people. An additional 22 people were arrested Monday night and early Tuesday after police used pepper spray to clear West Florissant in Ferguson. Police said some in the crowd of protesters had thrown rocks and frozen water bottles at officers.

St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger said the state of emergency he had declared would continue through Tuesday evening and a decision would be made Wednesday about extending the measure further into the week.

"I'm inclined not to have it last any longer than needed," the county executive said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.