Newspaper article The Record (Bergen County, NJ)

Eli's Six Tds Trumped by Brees, Late Penalty

Newspaper article The Record (Bergen County, NJ)

Eli's Six Tds Trumped by Brees, Late Penalty

Article excerpt

NEW ORLEANS - The Giants had already been on the losing end of one of the craziest games in NFL history five seasons ago when DeSean Jackson stunned them at the buzzer with a walk-off punt return for a touchdown.

Historic heartbreak happened again Sunday afternoon.

Instead of getting the chance to author a miracle comeback of their own in victorious fashion, riding the wave of a remarkable homecoming for Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr., the Giants could only watch in disgust and disillusionment as the Saints sent them home with another epic loss in the final seconds.

Kai Forbath's game-winning field goal from 50 yards out as time expired, thanks in part to a controversial facemask penalty on a punt return that was initially waved off, allowing the Saints to shock the Giants, 52-49.

"I'm not going to give you a lot of adjectives to describe the way I feel about not stopping them," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "You're just gonna have to live with the fact that we didn't do a good enough job. We didn't stop them enough. We got the lead in the game [at 49-42 with 7:11 left].

"We should've won the game. We didn't win the game."

Manning and Drew Brees moved up and down the field as if they were playing a video game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome before a raucous crowd of 73,019.

The former Super Bowl MVP quarterbacks broke an NFL record that was set before either was born as they combined for 13 touchdown passes, including a record-tying seven for Brees, who threw for 511 yards.

New Orleans (4-4) ended up scoring the game's final 10 points in the last 36 seconds, including a Brees-to-C.J. Spiller touchdown from 9 yards out and subsequent point-after from Forbath to even the score at 49.

The Giants (4-4) took possession at their own 20 with 36 seconds left and three timeouts at their disposal. Manning (30-of-41, 350 yards, six TDs) fired deep left for Rueben Randle on first down, but the pass was just out of reach. They gained 5 yards on a second down pass to Shane Vereen, but misfired on third down, forcing a punt.

Brad Wing's ensuing punt traveled 46 yards to the New Orleans 29 where returner Marcus Murphy ran under it and started up the field. He broke containment and gained 24 yards, bringing the ball near midfield before Craig Dahl forced a fumble.

Willie Snead of the Saints recovered the ball at the Giants' 47, and as he tried to advance the play - despite being illegal - Wing tackled him and in doing so grabbed his facemask. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.