Newspaper article Charleston Gazette Mail

Woman Shot through Door, Killed

Newspaper article Charleston Gazette Mail

Woman Shot through Door, Killed

Article excerpt

A Charleston man who fired through his front door, killing his uncle's girlfriend, has been charged with first-degree murder. Matthew Roohollahi, 30, of Lakin Street, sighed twice but remained silent as he waited for Kanawha Magistrate Tim Halloran to complete his paperwork in magistrate court Tuesday night. Roohollahi was arrested Tuesday evening and charged after police and prosecutors discussed the fatal early morning incident at length.

After hearing that someone had shot at the home of her boyfriend's relatives, Andrena Smith, 22, went at about 1 a.m. to check on them.

She died when Roohollahi shot her in the chest through the door, Charleston detectives said. Officers believed Roohollahi may have thought Smith was the person who had shot at his home, according to police.

Jonathan Bush, 32, of South Charleston, had allegedly fired several rounds at the home and nearby vehicles on Sunday, according to a criminal complaint filed in Kanawha Magistrate Court. Bush had recently broken up with Roohollahi's sister, the complaint states.

Roohollahi's sister was present Tuesday during the fatal incident, according to the complaint related to Roohollahi.

On Monday, Bush allegedly returned and fired another round toward the house. Roohollahi called police and reported that shooting.

A criminal complaint stated one witness reported seeing a gray van drive down the street in front of the home several times Monday. That witness told police they saw a black man fire several rounds toward the house on two separate occasions. The witness stated that later, at about 1 a.m. Tuesday, he saw a limousine driving past the house and that a single shot was fired from the vehicle.

After the second shooting, the witness reported seeing Roohollahi and another man walking up the street toward the home. Roohollahi was allegedly carrying a rifle with a mounted scope.

"Matthew made the statement that he was ready if Jonathan was to return," the complaint reads.

Several minutes after the last shooting, the witness told police he went to the home to check on Roohollahi. The witness announced himself several times to make his presence known, according to the criminal complaint. Roohollahi allegedly opened the door, pulled the witness inside and took him up the stairs that are in front of the home's door.

Roohollahi laid down on the floor and pointed the rifle at the door while looking through the scope, said the witness who was standing above him. Roohollahi allegedly fired one round, which struck Smith in the chest.

"[The witness] said he heard no noises at the door and that no one was attempting to break into the house before Matthew fired the fatal shot," the complaint states.

Officers were on their way to investigate the shootings when Smith arrived at the house and was shot. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.