Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

French Hunt 2nd Fugitive, Launch New Airstrikes on IS

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

French Hunt 2nd Fugitive, Launch New Airstrikes on IS

Article excerpt

SECOND ESCAPED TERRORIST AT LARGE * French officials work to identify and track yet another attacker

U.S. HAD TRACKED CELL FOR MONTHS * Mastermind is called key figure in Islamic State external operations

FRANCE, RUSSIA LAUNCH NEW STRIKES * They target Islamic State sites in Syria as fear of future attacks widens

PARIS * French police hunted Tuesday for a second terrorist believed to have escaped after the bomb and gun massacres in Paris, while a U.S. official revealed that the suspected mastermind was part of an Islamic State cell that American intelligence agencies had been tracking for months.

Meanwhile, France and Russia unleashed a new wave of airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Syria, while fears of further terrorist attacks deepened in Paris and beyond.

In Paris, the Eiffel Tower shut down again after opening for just a day Monday, and heavily armed troops patrolled the courtyard of the Louvre Museum.

In the German city of Hannover, an exhibition soccer game between Germany and the Netherlands was canceled and the stadium evacuated by police because of a bomb threat just 90 minutes before kickoff. Top government officials, including Chancellor Angela Merkel, had been scheduled to attend the game as a sign of defiance. No bomb was found.

Early Wednesday, anti-terrorist police began a raid on an apartment in a north Paris suburb where several suspects were holed up. Several officers were injured in an exchange of gunfire, police said. The extent of their injuries or whether any suspects were injured was not known.

Gunshots and detonations could be heard and residents were told to stay inside.

Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for attacks on France's national soccer stadium, a concert hall and restaurants and cafes in one of Paris' trendiest neighborhoods, killing 129 and injuring more than 350.

French authorities had previously said that at least eight people were directly involved in the bloodshed Friday: seven who died in the attacks and one who got away and slipped across the border to Belgium. But there have been gaps in officials' public statements, which have never fully disclosed how many attackers took part in the rampage.

On Tuesday, officials disclosed they now believe at least one more attacker was involved than was previously known, and they were working to identify and track down that suspect. Three officials spoke on condition of anonymity .

A new surveillance video indicated that a team of three attackers carried out the shootings at one of the cafes. The video was among evidence authorities used in concluding that at least one other attacker was at large, the French officials indicated.

The brief clip shot from a distance shows two black-clad gunmen with automatic weapons calmly firing on the bar then returning toward a waiting car, whose driver was maneuvering behind them. Authorities believe that car is the same black Spanish-made SEAT vehicle that was found abandoned Saturday with three Kalashnikovs inside. In the footage, as the gunmen fire their rifles, patrons can be seen falling down on the pavement as others dash or crawl away. The encounter lasted only seconds.

Previously officials had not specified how many people were involved in the attack on the sidewalk bar on La Fontaine au Roi street, as well as the other night spots.

In all, six attackers died after detonating suicide belts, and one was killed by police gunfire. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.