Newspaper article International New York Times

3rd Body Is Found in Rubble of Police Raid near Paris ; Investigators Seek Clues as France Extends State of Emergency after Attack

Newspaper article International New York Times

3rd Body Is Found in Rubble of Police Raid near Paris ; Investigators Seek Clues as France Extends State of Emergency after Attack

Article excerpt

An investigation sought to identify the body, which was found in the wreckage from the raid aimed at finding the authors of the Nov. 13 terror attacks.

The French authorities said on Friday that they had discovered a third body in the wreckage of an apartment after the police raid that killed Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the Belgian militant suspected of planning the Paris terror attacks.

Mr. Abaaoud's cousin Hasna Aitboulahcen, 26, also died in the raid on Wednesday, at an apartment in the suburb of St.-Denis; her passport was found in a handbag inside. The third person who died in the raid has not yet been identified, said Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre, a spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor.

Officials have begun to cast doubt on their initial theory that Ms. Aitboulahcen detonated a suicide vest during the raid, suggesting on Friday that it was the third person in the apartment who did.

The death toll from the attacks rose to 130 on Friday. President Francois Hollande announced that he would preside over a tribute to the victims on Nov. 27 at Invalides, the former military hospital that houses the tomb of Napoleon -- an honor that is typically bestowed on French soldiers who die overseas.

Mr. Hollande also received King Mohammed VI of Morocco at the Elysee Palace to thank him for the "efficient assistance" Morocco provided after the attacks. Mr. Abaaoud was a leader of a cell of Belgian militants, mostly of Moroccan descent, who had sworn fidelity to the Islamic State.

French news organizations have reported that Mr. Abaaoud was recorded on a surveillance video at 10:14 p.m. last Friday at the Croix de Chavaux station on the No. 9 line of the Metro -- near the street where the attackers at four restaurants in the 10th and 11th Arrondissements left a black Seat Leon hatchback. If confirmed, the video suggests that Mr. Abaaoud may have been not only an organizer of the attacks, but also a participant.

On Friday, a lawyer for Mr. Abaaoud's father, Omar, said he had expressed dismay that his son had not been captured alive, because the family wanted to learn what had happened to a younger son who had been lured to fight for the Islamic State.

"He was expecting the raid to end very badly," the lawyer, Nathalie Gallant, told reporters in Brussels. Abdelhamid Abaaoud had persuaded his brother Younes, then 13, to join him in Syria.

Omar Abaaoud's "only regret is that they didn't capture him alive so that they could interrogate him," Ms. Gallant said. "The father hoped to understand how his son could have gone off the tracks, understand why he took Younes with him, where Younes is, and whether he's still alive or whether he's dead."

Moroccan news agencies reported on Friday that another brother, Yassine, who is in jail in Morocco, tipped off Moroccan security services that Abdelhamid was not in Syria -- as French intelligence agencies initially believed -- but rather in France, leading intelligence agencies to the apartment in St. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.