Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Bailey Stable after Surgery for Shooting

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Bailey Stable after Surgery for Shooting

Article excerpt

Late Tuesday night, many Rams players were ready for bed when the texts started coming in, and the rumors popped up on social media.

"You hope it's a rumor," defensive end Chris Long said. "You hear crazy stuff all the time on the Internet."

Stedman Bailey has been shot.

"When I first heard, I couldn't believe it," Long said. "I didn't know the severity of it. Obviously, when you hear that somebody took a gunshot wound to the head, you never know how serious that can be."

Defensive end William Hayes started getting texts as well, and phoned coach Jeff Fisher with just one question: Is it true?

It was. Bailey, a third-year wide receiver, had been shot in a drive-by shooting back home in the Miami area. But details were scarce, and players were left to wonder how badly their teammate was injured, and even if he'd be able to pull through. Hayes was so distraught he got only about two hours of sleep.

"At the end of the day, the type of person he is, I know for sure that nothing like that should've happened to him," Hayes said. "I mean he's a great dude."

Some players went to bed early and didn't know what had happened until they showed up to work Wednesday morning. Center Tim Barnes was among them.

"I get here and I see the news van out front," Barnes said. "What's going on?"

He walked into the building at Rams Park and was told: "Did you hear about Stedman?"

Bailey, 25, was shot as he and four other people were sitting in a car outside a home in the Miami area. Another man, Antwan Reeves, was with Bailey and was also shot in the attack Tuesday night. Three others in the car, including two children, were not wounded, police said.

Miami Gardens police said they were looking for suspects who had driven up in another car and "opened fire."

Miami Gardens police said in a statement: "The victims drove themselves to an area hospital for evaluation and treatment."

Reeves was taken into surgery shortly after arriving at the hospital. He was in post-surgery recovery Wednesday, and was listed in stable, but critical condition.

Bailey actually spoke to Rams medical staff Tuesday night Fisher wouldn't say who and had a lengthy surgery Wednesday.

"Surgery probably took four to six hours from what my understanding is," Fisher said following Wednesday's practice at Rams Park.

"We're just waiting to get some more information on the specifics of the injury. There's a lot out there. There's a lot of rumors that there were two or three shots, or injury to the hip. I don't have specifics right now.

"But what I can tell you is he's in stable condition, and he'll be in ICU for a number of days. It's highly unlikely that he returns to play this year."

Fisher learned just before the end of practice that Bailey's surgery had been completed, and that Bailey was in ICU.

"I have no details on the chain of events that led to the accident, to the shooting," he said. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.