Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Tarentum at a Glance

Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Tarentum at a Glance

Article excerpt

Website: tarentumboro.com

Inside out: Deep in the heart of the Allegheny Valley and along the banks of the Allegheny River, Tarentum sits 20 miles north of Pittsburgh. Trader Peter Chartier established a trading post here around 1734 with Shawnee tribe leader Neucheconneh. The son of a Shawnee mother and French-Canadian father, Chartier was raised among the tribe and conducted negotiations between the tribe and new settlers and became a staunch advocate for Native American civil rights.

In 1829, the borough was founded by Judge Henry Brackenridge and incorporated in 1842. The river enabled industry to flourish and companies such as C.L. Flaccus Glass, Pittsburgh Plate Glass rose along the banks.

Population was at an all-time high in 1940 with 9,846. Today, Tarentum counts 4,489 residents within its 1. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.