Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Woman, 23, Fatally Struck by Vehicle Fleeing Velda City Police

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Woman, 23, Fatally Struck by Vehicle Fleeing Velda City Police

Article excerpt

ST. LOUIS COUNTY * Keisha Redding was 23 and on a good path in life, and her short time here should inspire others to do good, her mother said hours after her daughter's death Friday.

Redding was struck and killed late Friday morning by the driver of a car that witnesses said was fleeing police officers. Redding was standing at Natural Bridge and Lucas & Hunt roads.

"She was on a journey to embrace those new adventures and dreams," Njoki Redding, 63, said of her daughter as she sat Friday night surrounded by friends and family at her home in University City. "Today's event shows us some of our young people are not. We need to be about fixing the problems we have. We need to come up with solutions."

Njoki Redding said whoever hit her daughter was probably hurting as well, and that person also has a family who was hurting. "We're all connected," she said. "They're gonna hurt, too."

Redding lived in north St. Louis, graduated from University City High School in 2011 and loved children, friends and family members said. She was the third of four sisters. She had worked at a child development center and most recently at a restaurant.

Her family thinks she was in the area looking for a job through a nearby job development center when she was struck.

A Velda City officer apparently tried to stop a Chevrolet Monte Carlo just before 11 a.m. Friday for speeding about a mile south of Natural Bridge and Lucas & Hunt, Missouri Highway Patrol Sgt. Al Nothum said.

The Chevrolet ran a red light at the intersection, struck Redding and kept going. It continued along the northbound lanes of Lucas & Hunt, and police believe it went east on Interstate 70, Nothum said.

Police found the vehicle abandoned in a parking lot near Preservation Square Apartments in the 1300 block of Hogan Street in north St. Louis. Police were still searching for the driver Friday night.

Patrick Lawson, 41, of Normandy said he saw police cruisers chasing the car just before the impact.

"I couldn't believe they were speeding that fast at that location because of all the traffic," he said of the police. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.