Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sports Digest: NCAA Rules No New Bowl Games for Three Years

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Sports Digest: NCAA Rules No New Bowl Games for Three Years

Article excerpt

NCAA rules no new bowl games for three years

The NCAA is prohibiting the creation of new bowl games for the next three years after three teams with 5-7 records were needed to fill the record number of bowls last season.

The NCAA's football oversight committee last week recommended a three-year ban on sanctioning new postseason games, and it was approved by the Division I Council. The oversight committee started a task force to study the Bowl Subdivision postseason after there were not enough six-win, bowl-eligible teams last season to fill the 40 games.

The committee, led by Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, will deliver a full set of recommendations on reforming the postseason in June, including determining what should qualify as a deserving team and how a 5-7 team should be placed in a bowl if necessary.

Meyer assails texting rule * Urban Meyer clearly wasn't thrilled with the recent changes to recruiting rules, but it's the deregulation of text messages in particular that is bothering the Ohio State coach, ESPN.com reports.

Along with banning satellite camps, the Division I Council deregulated electronic communication with student-athletes in several sports, including football. The change could allow coaches to send unlimited text messages to potential recruits and contact them on social media. "The texting thing is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my life," Meyer said Monday. "It's hard, but if they're making a decision because coaches are upset about it, that's not the point."

Ex-FIFA official guilty in bribery scandal * A former vice president of soccer's international governing body pleaded guilty to four conspiracy counts Monday in the sweeping FIFA bribery scandal.

Speaking through a translator, Alfredo Hawit told Judge Raymond Dearie in U.S. District Court in New York that he had accepted hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes in connection with a scheme to sell marketing rights to tournaments in Latin America.

Hawit, 64, is free on bail and next appears in court in October. Each count carries a maximum of 20 years in prison; he also will forfeit $950,000 upon sentencing. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.