Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Teen Shot by St. Louis Police Was 15-Year-Old Student at Alternative School

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Teen Shot by St. Louis Police Was 15-Year-Old Student at Alternative School

Article excerpt

ST. LOUIS * Officials confirmed Wednesday that Jorevis Scruggs, who would have turned 16 on Sunday and formerly attended the Innovative Concept Academy, was the teen fatally shot in a confrontation with St. Louis police the day before.

Dr. Michael Graham, the medical examiner, said the preliminary cause of death was a single shot to the back. He said it entered Jorevis' body in the middle of the right side of his back and traveled through both lungs and his heart in an upward trajectory.

The officer's attorney, Brian Millikan, said Wednesday that his client had seen Jorevis pointing a gun at him from Jorevis' right hand while he started to run away.

"We're not sure if the suspect fired or not, but that's when the policeman fired," Millikan said. "It's perfectly consistent with a transverse shot."

Graham said that so far, "Everything I've seen is consistent with the officer's account."

"As I understand it, the kid was running with his arm up shooting or pointing the gun at the officer, who was kind of behind him," Graham said.

Police have not said whether Jorevis fired the gun. Chief Sam Dotson said Tuesday that a gun had been found "in close proximity to his body."

Jorevis, of the 4500 block of Fair Avenue, was a tenth-grader at Vashon High School until January, when he was transferred to Innovative Concept Academy, said Patrick Wallace, St. Louis Public Schools spokesman. Grief counselors were available at both schools.

The teen was withdrawn from the district on Friday for "whereabouts unknown" after his mother reported to the district that he was missing, Wallace said.

Jorevis was a passenger inside a car Tuesday, which was reported stolen Monday night in a carjacking, officials said.

Officers spotted the car just before noon Tuesday and pursued it for about two minutes. Police said the driver stopped in an alley behind the 3200 block of St. Louis Avenue, between Bacon Street and Garrison Avenue, and let Jorevis and a back-seat passenger out before taking off again. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.