Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Jefferson Hills at a Glance

Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Jefferson Hills at a Glance

Article excerpt

Website: www.jeffersonhillsboro.org

Inside out: Jefferson Hills was incorporated in 1828 as Jefferson Township. Named for founding father Thomas Jefferson, it was formed from parts of Mifflin and St. Clair townships. In 1860, more than 1,600 residents called the borough home and most were farmers. The discovery and mining of coal changed the face of the town and steel and brickmaking contributed to its growth. Residents voted by referendum on Nov. 3, 1998, to officially change the name of the borough from Jefferson to Jefferson Hills.

Today, the nearly 17-square-mile borough is thick with rolling hills and woods and its southern edge skirts the Monongahela River. It has more than 10,000 residents. It offers ample recreational opportunities with five parks and many ball fields, tennis courts and other sports facilities. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.