Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Strip District at a Glance

Newspaper article Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PA)

Strip District at a Glance

Article excerpt

Website: www.neighborsinthestrip.com

Inside out: James O'Hara and George A. Bayard established a lot plan between 11th and 15th streets that was unofficially known as Bayardstown and later O'Haraville, according the G.M. Hopkins Maps. The area's latest development, 2500 Smallman, sits on the same land that held the O'Haraville School in 1900.

Two of the city's oldest churches bring parishioners from near and far and now operate as one parish. St. Stanislaus Kostka's golden spires can be seen for miles. Built in 1891 by By Frederick C. Sauer, the cathedral was built by the Polish community. Its twin towers are home to seven bells. St. Patrick's is even older. It was built in 1811 and became known as a labor church under the leadership of Rev. James Cox. During the Great Depression, St. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.