Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Hurricane Matthew Brought Town's Demise, Needs a 'Miracle'

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

Hurricane Matthew Brought Town's Demise, Needs a 'Miracle'

Article excerpt

NICHOLS, S.C. * Nearly a month since floodwater consumed this Mayberry-like hamlet in rural South Carolina, few have returned. The fear is that many never will.

Nichols wasn't directly hit by Hurricane Matthew, but its location 50 miles inland from Myrtle Beach, between two converging rivers, caused it to fill up like a bathtub after 18 inches of rain fell.

A stew of water, fuel, fertilizer and sewage settled in homes for over a week.

As the water receded, toxic black mold grew rampant, leaving nearly all of the town's 261 homes uninhabitable. Brown lines, which start midway up once-white doors and get increasingly darker closer to the floor, show how the receding water "got nastier and nastier," said the Rev. Eddie Collier, pastor of Nichols' Methodist church.

He knew he was in trouble when he woke up in bed about 3:15 a.m. Oct. 10 and his hand hit water. His wife's cellphone had just enough power to make one call, and they were rescued by boat several hours later.

While waiting for help, he opened a window.

"But the odor was horrific," Collier said. "I actually closed the window back."

His is among homes already gutted to the studs, thanks to the help of church volunteers and AmeriCorps members. Many more need to be gutted. Collier said he was encouraging parishioners and neighbors to come back to clean out. The longer they wait, the more unsalvageable their homes will be, he said.

He saw one set of neighbors briefly: "They threw up their hands and left. I haven't seen them since."

Most of the people in town recently were there only for the cleanup process. Lifetimes' worth of belongings were piled high along the streets. On some, the stench of molded furniture, wood and carpeting mixed with rotting food in garbage bags, waiting to be hauled off.

Looking at a yard full of trashed belongings, Bill Gleason got choked up as he motioned to family photos.

"I'm fine except when I talk about the pictures," he said.

He and his wife, who recently got a job with a propane gas company in Nichols, moved in two weeks before 2 feet of contaminated water consumed their home. "I just sunk pretty much everything I had into renovating this place. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.