Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

NFL Notes: Oakland Makes Attempt to Keep Raiders

Newspaper article St Louis Post-Dispatch (MO)

NFL Notes: Oakland Makes Attempt to Keep Raiders

Article excerpt

Oakland makes bid to retain the Raiders

A late-hour attempt to keep the Raiders from leaving Oakland moving took a step forward Tuesday when Alameda (Calif.) County supervisors approved opening negotiations with an investment group on a $1.3 billion stadium project.

Then the Oakland City Council approved it as well, so the city and county can start negotiating a formal agreement with private investors for a stadium project that includes $350 million in public money by way of land and future revenue.

Approval by both boards is required to allow the proceedings to continue.

The push for a new stadium project is being led by Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott and former quarterback Rodney Peete, who are working with Fortress Investment Group. Three of five county supervisors voted yes.

Some speakers at the meeting urged caution even as they pledged support. They said officials should negotiate jobs and affordable housing for residents in east Oakland, where the Coliseum is located, given the soaring cost of housing throughout the city.

Lott said after the vote that the work is just beginning.

"We still have a long ways to go. We still have to convince the NFL. We still have to convince (Raiders owner) Mark Davis. We've got a long ways to go but today is a great day," he said.

Earlier this year, Davis said he was committed to moving the Raiders to Las Vegas, where a $1.9 billion stadium project has been approved.

A vote by NFL owners on whether to allow the move is possible as soon as January. The Raiders might also have the option of moving to Los Angeles, where they would share a facility with the Rams.

Ravens cut Hester * Kick returner Devin Hester was released by the Ravens after the four-time Pro Bowl star struggled in his first season with the team. He often let the ball drop instead of making a fair catch and after he failed to field a punt early in Monday's game against New England, the ball was downed at the 1-yard line and the Patriots got a safety on the next play.

He returned only 25 punts and fumbled four times. Hester, 34, was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2014. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.