Newspaper article Charleston Gazette Mail

State Briefs

Newspaper article Charleston Gazette Mail

State Briefs

Article excerpt


A judge said Tuesday he would wait to decide the request for a new sentence made by a man convicted in 2010 of sexually assaulting prostitutes. Thomas Gravely, of East Bank, was sentenced to spend 15 to 35 years in prison by Kanawha Circuit Judge Tod Kaufman, after a jury convicted him of sexual assault.

After serving eight years in prison, Gravely, with his lawyer John Carr, asked Kaufman to reconsider the sentence. Kaufman could have sentenced Gravely up to 165 years.

Kanawha County Assistant Prosecutor Fred Giggenbach, however, who served as the prosecutor during Gravely's trial, told the judge that he didn't have the authority to change Gravely's sentence this many years later.

That's what the West Virginia Parole Board is for, Giggenbach told the judge. The prosecutor added that the proper avenue for Gravely would be through the filing of a habeas corpus petition.

Kaufman said Tuesday that he would allow Gravely 30 days to further his arguments in writing.

Gravely, a father of five, was a midget-league football coach in eastern Kanawha County when he was arrested.

Police: Man tried to poison pregnant woman

Charleston Police arrested a local man on Tuesday after they said he choked his pregnant "intimate partner and tried to pour bleach into her mouth on Saturday, according to a criminal complaint.

Geoffrey Wilborne, 30, attacked the woman after he found out she was pregnant with someone else's child, according to the complaint. "Drink this so your baby can die, he is reported as saying. An embryo or fetus is considered a separate victim in such cases.

Police charged Wilborne with one count of strangulation and attempting to kill or injure by poison. He remained at South Central Regional Jail on $100,000 bond on Tuesday afternoon, according to the state's online jail directory.

Past drug offender critical after shooting

Two people were shot in a vehicle on Charleston's West Side on Monday night in what police said was a failed drug deal.

Keith Paul, 43, of St. Albans, and Marsha Nichols, 43, of Elkview, were shot, according to Lt. Steve Cooper, chief of detectives for the Charleston Police Department. Paul is in critical condition after the shooting, police said, which took place around 9 p.m. Monday at the intersection of Sixth Avenue and Russell Street.

In the past, federal judges have sentenced Paul to a total of seven years in prison for drug-related charges. Authorities arrested Paul in 2006 after they found about 49 grams of chemicals commonly used to make methamphetamine, according to court records. In a plea deal signed two years later, Paul pleaded guilty to one of three charges, resulting in a five-year prison sentence.

Soon after being released, police again arrested Paul after an anonymous tip brought them to a meth lab in his basement, according to court records. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.