Newspaper article THE JOURNAL RECORD

$23.9 Million Impact Seen from Ou Football Season / Home Games

Newspaper article THE JOURNAL RECORD

$23.9 Million Impact Seen from Ou Football Season / Home Games

Article excerpt

is generated by a five-game University of Oklahoma football season for the Norman-Oklahoma City area, according to a study by the OU Center for Economic and Management Research.

That included an average of $4.8 million spent by non-student fans buying an average of 65,741 tickets per game, including a multiplier effect, said the report by Neil J. Dikeman Jr., associate director of the research center.

"It further indicated that regular attendees at these games came from such states as Texas, Kansas, Louisiana, Colorado and Arizona," said Dikeman, "in addition to Oklahoma followers of OU football."

The data was obtained by a sample survey of persons who regularly purchase home game tickets from the OU athletic ticket office, regardless of where they live, said Dikeman. The study did not include nearly 10,000 students who regularly attend games.

The direct expenditures, not including the multiplier effect, averaged about $2.79 million per game for a five-game season total of $13.97 million, said the report.

"However, due to the multiplier effect," said Dikeman, "these activities create additional income (of $9.9 million) for other businesses in the study area who provide goods and services to the hotels, motels, restaurants, shops and other enterprises in which expenditures are made by attendees."

The average per game direct expenditures of $2.79 million include:

- Lodging - $986,100.

- Food and beverages - $756,010.

- Transportation - $328,700.

- Entertainment - $230,090.

- Shopping - $493,050.

Of the average of 65,741 non-students buying tickets per game, more than 10 percent are made to residents of other states, the report said. The remaining 90 percent are purchased by Oklahomans, including 14.5 percent to residents of the Norman, Moore and Oklahoma City area, and 75.5 percent outside that area. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.