Newspaper article THE JOURNAL RECORD

Broken Arrow Woman Trains Clients in Business Etiquette

Newspaper article THE JOURNAL RECORD

Broken Arrow Woman Trains Clients in Business Etiquette

Article excerpt

After graduating from Oral Roberts University with a bachelor's degree in English, Rachel Wagner, a native of Owensboro, Ky., lived in Madison, Wis., for 26 years working as a teacher and a librarian and raising a family.

After returning to Tulsa in 1998, she continued to work as a librarian but also started a part-time small business providing etiquette and protocol training and seminars. About 18 months ago she decided it was time to make her part-time small business and etiquette training career a full-time venture.

Wagner earned certification as a corporate etiquette and international protocol consultant from the Protocol School in Washington, D.C., and is the founder and director of Rachel Wagner Etiquette and Protocol of Broken Arrow.

"It was the teacher in me," Wagner said of her venture into providing etiquette and protocol training on a full-time basis.

"This is something I wanted to get into and to rebrand myself," she said.

Since business is often built on relationships, the level of professional success can hinge on knowing how to communicate and negotiate with proper business etiquette and interpersonal skills, she said.

"Today people need more than a college degree to succeed," Wagner said. "About 15 percent of the reasons you get and keep a job and get promoted are related to education and training. The other 85 percent of the reasons you get a job, keep the job and get promoted are related to social skills and your business etiquette."

Training can include etiquette for relationships with international clients and associates.

"We do not want to offend a client or associate, especially someone from another country," she said. "It is important to know the cultural differences between countries and to not serve a meal that is offensive. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.