Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Kampmann Submits Alves in Main Event of Televised UFC Australia Card: Kampmann Rallies to Win Down under in UFC

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Kampmann Submits Alves in Main Event of Televised UFC Australia Card: Kampmann Rallies to Win Down under in UFC

Article excerpt

SYDNEY - Welterweight Martin (The Hitman) Kampmann rallied in the third round to submit Thiago (Pitbull) Alves on a televised UFC card Friday.

Alves (24-8) seemed headed to a win thanks to his superior striking. But the fight turned with time running out after an Alves takedown. Falling backwards, Kampmann latched onto Alves' neck and rolled into mount, forcing Alves to tap out to a guillotine at four minutes 12 seconds of the third round.

"I squeezed it because I knew that was my window," said Kampmann. "And I didn't want to miss it."

Kampmann said he wouldn't mind a shot at interim champion Carlos Condit, who lost to the Las Vegas-based Dane when they met the first time.

Kampmann (19-5) hurt Alves with a front kick early in the first round but Alves survived and had him down later in the round. Alves achieved mount position but failed to do damage and Kampmann escaped as the round ended.

Kampmann, cut under his left eye, had trouble getting his offence going against Alves in the second round. Alves, a Brazilian who now calls Florida home, landed the heavier shots.

Kampmann kept looking for takedowns but had little success. Still Alves was leaking blood from his nose as the fight wore down.

"Thiago caught me with some good shots, I'll be honest," Kampmann said.

"He's a beast," he added.

On the undercard at the Allphones Arena, veteran Australian Anthony (The Hippo) Perosh spoiled Canadian light-heavyweight Nick (The Quiet Assassin) Penner's UFC debut, pounding out a first-round TKO.

Like last week's UFC 144 card in Tokyo, the Sydney show started in the morning local time so it could be viewed in prime time back in North America. The undercard kicked off at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Australia.

In the UFC's first foray into the 125-pound flyweight division, Demetrious (Mighty Mouse) Johnson scored what was originally announced as a 29-28, 29-28, 28-29 split decision over fellow American Ian (Uncle Creepy) McCall.

The crowd didn't like the decision and McCall left the cage immediately after it was announced.

It was later revealed that the scores were miscalculated and the bout was actually a majority draw: 29-28 for Johnson, 29-29 and 28-28. Johnson (14-2-1) and McCall (11-2-1) are now expected to fight again to determine who will meet American Joseph Benavidez for the UFC inaugural flyweight title.

Benavidez (16-2) floored Japan's Yasuhiro Urushitani (19-5-6) with a right to the chin, forcing the referee to step in 11 seconds into the second round.

It was a tough night for the lone Canadian on the card.

Referee John Sharp stepped in at 4:59 of the first round as Perosh, a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu who showed he has other skills in the cage, was punching away at a defenceless Penner (12-2) from the mount position

Penner, a 31-year-old native of Blumenort, Man. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.