Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Woman Killed in Alleged Honour Killing in India Feared B.C. Family: Friend

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Woman Killed in Alleged Honour Killing in India Feared B.C. Family: Friend

Article excerpt

Woman killed in India feared family: friend


VANCOUVER - A British Columbia woman who Indian authorities believe was the victim of an honour killing planned in Canada spent the final months of her life in fear of her family, her friends testified Monday at the extradition hearing of her mother and uncle.

Jaswinder, or Jassi, Sidhu was 25 when she was found strangled and beaten to death in June 2000, her body dumped in a canal in India.

Her mother, Malkit Kaur Sidhu, and her uncle, Surjit Singh Badesha, are facing extradition to India to face charges of conspiracy to commit murder for allegedly unleashing the attack on the tall South Asian beauty and her lower caste husband.

"She had married a gentleman outside of an arranged marriage her family wanted," said Jody Wright, who worked with Sidhu at a Coquitlam beauty salon. "It was of her own free will. For love."

Wright testified that Sidhu told her when they worked together in the months before her death that the marriage had remained a secret for about a year because her family would not approve of the poor rickshaw driver she met during a visit to India a few years earlier.

But B.C. Supreme Court Justice Gregory Fitch heard that the clandestine union came to light when Sidhu's previous boss called her home to say she had left behind some personal items. A family member picked up those items and found a marriage certificate.

Wright said Sidhu described what happened next as an "interrogation," during which Sidhu's own life and that of her husband, Sukhwinder (Mithu) Sidhu, were threatened. Wright said her friend told her she admitted to the marriage and was forced to sign a document seeking an annulment.

"She was fearful of her life. She told me she didn't know what they were capable of," Wright testified.

Sidhu arranged a code with Wright, the receptionist at the salon, that would initiate a call to police. Wright said she made that call twice.

"The code word was, 'I'm sick or I have the flu.' That was my trigger to call the cops because she was locked in her bedroom," she told the court under questioning by Deborah Strachan, the lawyer for the federal attorney general.

Wright said she typed a letter for Sidhu that Sidhu said she would take to her lawyer. The letter said Sidhu had been forced to sign the document seeking an annulment, and that she had not, in fact, been forced to marry.

Weeks before her death, Wright and another friend testified that Sidhu ran away from home. Her bank accounts had been frozen so she borrowed the money to go to India and planned to bring her husband home with her to Canada.

"She was excited about her marriage and she was working on getting his immigration papers and she was hoping her family would eventually accept him once he came over," testified Belinda Lucas, another co-worker. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.