Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Illegal B.C. Dentist Heading to Toronto Prompts Canada-Wide Arrest Warrant

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Illegal B.C. Dentist Heading to Toronto Prompts Canada-Wide Arrest Warrant

Article excerpt

Illegal B.C. dentist heading to Toronto


VANCOUVER - The search for a dentist accused of practising without a license in Burnaby, B.C., has become a country-wide hunt, prompting B.C.'s college of dental surgeons to offer a $2,000-reward to anyone who provides information leading to his arrest.

The college said Thursday that it was granted the authority to seize and search Tung Sheng Wu's vehicle from a transportation facility in Richmond the day before.

Judging from the documents, personal belongings and dental supplies that were found inside the car, which was slated to be shipped to Toronto, college registrar Jerome Marburg said there is reason to believe Wu is planning to establish a practice out east.

"We consistently are finding quantities of dental supplies," he said. "If he was to abandon that venture, one would expect that he wouldn't be...shipping dental supplies where he was going. That leads us to believe that there is a high likelihood that he is going to set up shop somewhere else."

Wu is wanted on an arrest warrant for contempt of court allegations that he violated a 2003 injunction ordering him to stop practising dentistry.

In late May, RCMP and college investigators searched Wu's house following a complaint from a client. Court documents say that a bedroom was set up to perform operations, dirty dental supplies were strewn about, and an old sterilizer for equipment laid unplugged and dusty.

None of the dental supplies found in Wu's house or car are approved by Health Canada, Marburg said.

According to the Fraser Health Authority, more than a thousand people may have been exposed to the unsanitary conditions, prompting the health authority to urge those who received treatment from Wu to get tested for blood-borne viruses.

While the college knew that Wu was practising illegally back in 2003, it was deemed not necessary at the time to issue a public warning, said Marburg.

"There was no evidence of any public health concerns at the time around infection," he said. "We had evidence this individual had been practising, we got an injunction to get him stopped and that's what we do. We understood that he had stopped and he had left the country. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.