Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Motive Still a Question in Warehouse Rampage, Suspect Appears in Court

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Motive Still a Question in Warehouse Rampage, Suspect Appears in Court

Article excerpt

Accused in warehouse attack faces more charges


EDMONTON - The baffling motive for a bloody and deadly attack on workers at an Edmonton grocery warehouse remained a mystery Monday as an accused made his first court appearance, but police were at least able to say they believe the victims were chosen at random, not targeted.

Police Chief Rod Knecht told reporters that investigators are continuing to talk to dozens of witnesses in order to understand more about the crime and the alleged killer.

And although all six men who were stabbed -- two of them fatally -- at the huge Loblaws distribution complex in northwest Edmonton on Friday are black, Knecht said it doesn't appear race was a reason for the rampage.

Knecht said officers believe the victims were selected at random as their attacker walked through the building.

"We're obviously keeping our minds open to potential motives," Knecht said. "We continue to investigate, glean more information, learn more about the individual that's been charged."

Witnesses have said a Caucasian man wearing a military-style vest went through the workplace, slashing and stabbing with a knife in each hand.

Police quickly identified Jayme Pasieka as a suspect and distributed his photo. The 29-year-old was arrested a few hours later without incident as he sitting in a vehicle in an industrial area on the opposite end of the city.

He faces several charges -- first-degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault and weapons offences. Police said as they continue to investigate and talk to witnesses, there could be more charges.

A handcuffed Pasieka appeared on closed-circuit TV from the Edmonton Remand Centre. He confirmed his name to the judge but said nothing else.

The judge accepted a request from defence lawyer Brandon Tralenberg that the case be put over to May 5.

"Obviously there's a lot of things that have happened. There's a lot of people that want some answers," Tralenberg said outside the courtroom.

"There's a lot of information that's come from the police interviews, people that are apparent witnesses, so this is going to take some time."

Assistant chief Crown prosecutor Kimberley Goddard told media that her office is taking the case "very seriously. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed


An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.