Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Thousands of Wildfires Evacuees in Northern Alberta Told They Can Return Home

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Thousands of Wildfires Evacuees in Northern Alberta Told They Can Return Home

Article excerpt

Wildfire evacuees told they can return home

--

Many of the nearly 5,000 Albertans evacuated from their homes due to forest fires have started to be allowed to return home.

Late Tuesday night, the Municipal District of Opportunity announced an evacuation order had been lifted for residents of the hamlet of Wabasca.

The MD said RCMP would be on hand to supervise the return and warned that essential services in the hamlet might be limited or delayed for the time being.

Officials also said reception centres would remain open in nearby communities on Wednesday and meals would continue to be served for those who couldn't immediately get back home.

Cyndi Taron of the MD said most residents of the Bigstone reserve would also be allowed home, although she said about 200 in a specific part of the reserve would remain on evacuation order.

An evacuation order was also lifted Tuesday afternoon for the area of the Old Smith Highway, and about 300 residents were expected to begin returning over the next day.

However, those who returned were told to remain on a 30-minute evacuation notice, and Chief Jamie Coutts of the Lesser Slave Regional Fire Service advised they should not disable or remove any sprinklers on their property.

Taron said no similar order would apply to the thousands of people returning to Wabasca, saying that provincial officials felt confident the fire was being held and the danger was over.

"However, we are keeping the state of local emergency on for a while yet, as a precaution," she said.

Agriculture and Forestry Minister Oneil Carlier said he hopes people will abide by a provincewide fire ban.

"Most of the province is under a high to severe fire threat and it is incredibly important at this time that we all do everything we can to keep people safe."

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 70 fires burning in the province; 20 were considered to be out of control. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.