Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Ex-Bloc Leader Mario Beaulieu Says He Won't Run for the Top Job Again

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Ex-Bloc Leader Mario Beaulieu Says He Won't Run for the Top Job Again

Article excerpt

Ex-Bloc leader Beaulieu won't run for leadership

--

OTTAWA - The Bloc Quebecois will choose its new leader sometime in 2017, but former boss Mario Beaulieu won't be among the candidates.

Beaulieu confirmed Friday he won't seek the sovereigntist party's top job a second time after saying earlier in the week he was thinking about it.

"I decided not to participate in the leadership race (in order) to devote myself entirely to the campaign of promoting independence," said Beaulieu, MP for the Montreal riding of La Pointe-de-l'Ile, adding the choice is in the best interests of the sovereignty movement.

Beaulieu was leader for one tumultuous year -- between June 2014 and June 2015 -- before handing the reins to Gilles Duceppe and remaining party president. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.