Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Murder Charge against B.C. Man Stayed in Death of Woman Three Decades Ago

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Murder Charge against B.C. Man Stayed in Death of Woman Three Decades Ago

Article excerpt

Murder charge stayed in death 30 years ago

--

SASKATOON - A first-degree murder charge stemming from a woman's death three decades ago has been stayed in a Saskatchewan court.

Dennis Henry Hahn, 66, of Surrey, B.C., was arrested last July and charged in the 1985 slaying of Frances Wendland of Rosthern, Sask.

Prosecutors stayed the charges on Wednesday, saying they did not feel there was a reasonable likelihood of conviction in the case.

Hahn's lawyer, Chris Murphy, said the evidence was "nearly non-existent" and noted that although a stayed charge means the case can be re-activated within a year, he believes the odds of that happening are "next to zero."

Hahn was released from custody in Prince Albert, Sask., and has received a ticket for a bus ride back to B.C.

Police say two masked men broke into Wendland's home and locked her two daughters, aged seven and eight, along with a 10-year-old friend who had been sleeping over, in a basement bathroom.

Kerri Wendland, one of the daughters, told CTV News she's sad about the decision but remains hopeful there will be justice in her mother's case. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.