Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Hand-Held Cellphone Driving Convictions over 4,300, Six Years after Law Change

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Hand-Held Cellphone Driving Convictions over 4,300, Six Years after Law Change

Article excerpt

Distracted driving convictions still high

--

REGINA - The minister responsible for Saskatchewan Government Insurance says convictions for hand-held cellphone use while driving are high in part because of better enforcement.

However, Don McMorris also admits too many people are still breaking the law.

Legislation banning the use of hand-held cellphones while driving became law Jan. 1, 2010, in Saskatchewan.

SGI says there were just over 1,800 convictions that year and the number kept climbing to reach about 4,900 in 2014, before dropping back slightly last year to 4,300.

McMorris says there are more police officers on the road and they've learned how to better spot when people are using their hand-held phones while driving.

Still, he says the numbers are not acceptable and he hopes public education campaigns will help inform people about the danger. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.