Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Guests at Winnipeg Hotel Evacuated Due to High Levels of Carbon Monoxide

Newspaper article The Canadian Press

Guests at Winnipeg Hotel Evacuated Due to High Levels of Carbon Monoxide

Article excerpt

Hotel guests evacuated due to carbon monoxide

--

WINNIPEG - Guests at the Viscount Gort Hotel on Winnipeg's Portage Avenue had to be evacuated early Monday morning due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

Fire crews were called to the hotel just before midnight for reports of a smoky smell on the second floor of the hotel.

"With the help of other agencies, such as Manitoba Hydro, we were able to find out that there was some issues with the heating duct," said Alex Forrest, president of the United Firefighters of Winnipeg.

No one needed a trip to the hospital, but the evacuees had to wait in Winnipeg Transit buses while the building was ventilated.

It's not known how many guests were forced out, but they were allowed back in at around 1:45 a.m.

Manitoba Hydro determined the carbon monoxide was coming from a faulty rooftop heater. …

Search by... Author
Show... All Results Primary Sources Peer-reviewed

Oops!

An unknown error has occurred. Please click the button below to reload the page. If the problem persists, please try again in a little while.